Re: oid dependency question...

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: oid dependency question...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Andrew Schmeder writes:

> So far, I have learned that every row, table, etc in postgres can be
> associated to a globally unique object id (oid), correct?

*is* associated

> I tried to explore the system tables, pg_, etc but I could not find a
> table which actually just contained the oids, so I assume that this is
> hidden somewhere on a layer below the database...

Every row in the database gets a unique oid upon creation, but there is no
"oid catalog" as such, the oids are just there. On the user's side they do
not have much practical value unless you choose to use them as foreign
keys (but there is rarely a reason to really do that).

About the rest of you project, the way I see it you probably want to
detect changes to your data (whereever that comes from) externally and
update the database from there. Triggers and such can help keeping
everything in sync but your milage will most certainly vary. I am not sure
to what extend large objects are supported by all parts of the game.