psql -e and -n flags

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема psql -e and -n flags
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
As you surely noticed, the psql -e flag ("echo" modus, if you will) has
changed its format (regression tests ring a bell?) in that it echoes the
input file verbatim. For the particular case of the regression tests this
seems like a good thing to me since you see the comments as well. However,
I also offer the "old" mode that merely echoes the actual queries as they
are sent to the backend (which, as we know since the array syntax thing,
can be quite different), but there's no option for this.

The suggestion I have is to offer the traditional behaviour with a single
-e flag, so there's little change for anyone switching from <7.0, and the
"full" echo mode with two -e flags. I'd then change the flags in the
regression drivers to -e -e. Comments? Better ideas?

Furthermore, does anyone have anything to say in defence of the -n ("no
readline") option? If not, I'd be tempted to "hide" it now, since it may
be a popular option letter to have available in the future.