Re: [HACKERS] Column ADDing issues

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Column ADDing issues
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2000-01-26, Oliver Elphick mentioned:

> As far as inheritance goes, all the descendants are treated as one table,
> including those created on a different branch from test2.  All of them
> have to return the right columns for a single query; the two options for
> dealing with this seem to be logical column numbering, or rewriting the
> descendant tables.  (But I haven't spent enough time in the code to be
> sure of that.)

Logical column ordering seems like a rather clean solution. The system
could also make educated decisions such as storing fixed size attributes
before variables sized ones. Kind of like a Cluster within the table.

I still think that fixing this in pg_dump might be the path of least
resistance, but we've got until autumn(?) to figure it out.