Re: [HACKERS] psql -f inconsistency with "copy from stdin"

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [HACKERS] psql -f inconsistency with "copy from stdin"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Okay, this is the new law:

copy x from stdin;

"stdin" is whereever the actual copy from stdin command line came from.
This is that way because "stdin" in that case does not really refer to
stdin in the classical sense but tells the backend to get the data from
the same stream the command came from (namely the network connection), and
that's what we're doing.

copy x from stdout;

The output goes to whereever select * from x would go to, in particular \o
affects this. This is purely because I said so, but I think it's
reasonable.

\copy x from stdin

The input comes from psql's stdin. (Which is correcter in this case since
it's a _frontend_ copy.)

\copy x to stdout

psql's stdout

I hope everyone's happy now. ;)

On 2000-01-12, Brook Milligan mentioned: