Last Insert

От Marcelo Pereira
Тема Last Insert
Дата
Re: Last Insert  (Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hello All,

I have two tables, the first is parental and the second is a child of the
first.

Ex.:

create table first (id SERIAL, descrip CHAR(20));
create table second (id INTEGER references first(id), state CHAR(2));

I have `all' the values to make the inserts in the two tables (ie, descrip
and state), so I `would' use:

INSERT into first (descrip) values ($descr);
INSERT into second (id,state) values (?????????,$state);

As you can see, I don't know the ID number assigned to first.id, so I
can't do the INSERT in the `second' table...

How can I discover the number gave to the SERIAL field in the first table?

Thanks in advance,

Marcelo