Re: Zip Code Proximity

От Andy Lewis
Тема Re: Zip Code Proximity
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Jeff Hoffmann wrote:

> Andy Lewis wrote:
> >
> > Actually I was thinking more on the lines of:
> >
> > select location from test where location @ '((31.6283,93.6347), 1.39)'::circle;
> >

> that works just great, assuming that you can accurately calculate the
> radius of the circle that you're searching for.

I'll already have the mileage from an html form and the initial
zip. Should work just fine. It doesn't have to be exact just close.

> > If Zylks, LA (lat/lon = 32.9696,93.9801) is also in the DB.
> > The above query should select Zylks since 1.39 * 62.1 = 86 miles approx.
> > 86 miles is about correct for those two zip codes.
> >
> > Wouldn't this be much easier?
>
> to me, the big question is how you're calculating the radius & if you're
> taking into account the curvature of the earth so that 62.1 changes in
> different parts of the country.  if you've taken that into
> consideration, great.  it's probably going to be ok to flatten the earth
> for an area that size, though.

I don't plan on using anymore than a 100 miles, so that should work ok,
I'd think.

> > Is the data type POINT index-able?
> >

> unfortunately, not in a really useful way for you.  plus, the optimizer
> probably wouldn't use the index any.  it's a small data set, something
> around 35k-40k records, right?

I'm not sure how many records are in the zip code DB that I currently
have, shouldn't be much more than that though.

Andy