Re: [DOCS] Business Plan for PostgreSQL book?

От Clark C. Evans
Тема Re: [DOCS] Business Plan for PostgreSQL book?
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Bruce,

On the slim chance that you may change your mind,
I've decided to address some of your points.

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Well, I don't think a "group-written" book is going to read very well.

You already started one.  It hardly looks like a "solo"
project to me.  There is _nothing_ saying that it has to be
design-by-committee.

In fact, I assumed that you would run the book as a
"dictatorship" where you keep complete artistic
control over every element... including the voice.

There is a ton other people can do... think:    "What can I delegate".

It will bring you amazing power -- you might end up owning only
40% of the book.... however, the book will be 1000% better
and sell thousands more copies.

> Everyone has a different style, and a mis-mash of writing
> styles in a book will not work.

Compare to:  Everyone has a different style, a mis-match of             programming styles in a computer program will
notwork.

Answer:      Modulize, design your book so that this will             be a non-issue.   1/2 of the book will be
dreaming           up and presenting 'cool' examples.  The little bit            of text that is in a personal voice
canbe re-written.

> It also will take too long to produce a book in that way.

Compare to:  It will take too long to make a computer program that way.
Answer:      Once the outline is made; and the project is broken            down into modules much of it can be done in
parallel.           Debugging can also be done in parallel (as Eric Raymond            so clearly writes).  So what if
acomplete re-write             is needed at the end:  Plan to throw one away.

> The book will be available via the Web and in PDF format even before it
> is completed.  (I am writing it using LyX/LaTeX).  I have written the
> first two chapters, and will be putting them out for everyone to read

comment, debug, suggest improvements on, revise, help with,

> and use very soon.

Yes, I know.   You want to leverage the collaborative PostgreSQL
community process when every possible.  Amazing how well it works!

> This book project will clearly be a win for all
> PostgreSQL users, whether they buy the book or not.

This much is true, but it's not the issue.

> That doesn't mean I will not be including significant amount of our
> existing documentation.  For example, I would probably include the
> 'manual' pages at the end of the book, like many computer books.

They are seveal hundred pages and will be a great
resource when writing the book -- they must have taken
hundreds of hours to generate.  I doubt that they
would be all that useful verbadim at the end of the book.
> As far a money, let me mention something.  While making $0 with
> PostgreSQL (I don't use it in my work, or even at home to store any
> data.), I have always offered to put money into the project because I
> think it is only fair that the costs be born fairly by the people
> involved.  I have sent money to support our server, I have offered to
> send more in the past, and have offered to host the PostgreSQL Award
> around-the-world tour by including checks to pay for every leg of the
> trip.  I have done other monetary gifts for PostgreSQL.

Yes, I know.  Most committed free software developers are in a similar
boat and I wish there was a more equitable way of developing software
like PostgreSQL.

> So, if there need for some money for PostgreSQL, let me know.  With or
> without the book, I am always interested in helping.

Bruce, I'm not questioning your integrety; if anything it should be
the other way around as I am not a significant contributor and
as an 'familar outsider' really don't have the right to question
your actions.  Infact, I admire you a TON and that's why I'm
spending _my_ time authoring this e-mail.

  Please understand.   I'm suggesting an alternative way of doing  things; that maybye, just mabye could turn out to be
biggerand   more useful than expected.  Consider this as a "small project"    to see if the members of PostgreSQL
communitycan deliver as  a cohesive unit; not as an individual.    If an accountable process like this were to work for
abook --  then I would bet solid money that it would work for  application software development for profit.  And this,
being able to generate a profit should be the goal that we  as a community should be striving for.

  Imagine the book titled:  "PostgreSQL: The Definitive Guide, by Bruce Momjian"    Now imagine you going into Crysler
corporationtrying to   bid on a production control system.  Do you think you  will get it with the Oracle
representativeright next to you?

  Imagine instead the book titled:
  "PostgreSQL:  The Definitive Guide  A collaborative work by the PostgreSQL Community,     Edited by Bruce Momjian"
  Put yourself back in the board room at Crysler with  Oracle sales person next to you.  Do you think you  are in a
betterposition?  I think so.  The first book  says you are a lone wolf.  The second one shows  you are a leader.  It
alsodemonstrates all too clearly  that you an muster the entire PostgreSQL community   behind you, ready to deliver on
yourpromises.

  That is way powerful.  Far more powerful than the   lone wolf approach chosen by Larry Wall.

So, you mentioned the $ word.   Is this about $?  Yes.
However, it is not about the immediate money nor about
your right to profit from PostgreSQL.  It is about a
key juncture for the PostgreSQL community; we can either
fragment off as individuals... going Solo.   Or,
we can develop a business model that lets us move
together as a community.   Oracle isn't scared about
the first one.  Its petrified about the second.

Best Wishes,

Clark

Сообщение: Re: [DOCS] Business Plan for PostgreSQL book?
Сообщение: Re: [DOCS] Business Plan for PostgreSQL book?