Re: [GENERAL] questing using array

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [GENERAL] questing using array
Дата
Список pgsql-general
You might want to look into the contrib/array directory which has _some_
helpers with arrays.

But in general, using arrays in cases like yours is a bad idea because,
a) It has nothing to do with relational database design
b) Arrays were not designed for this kind of stuff, so you won't get very
far.

Regarding a), redesign your table like this
name varchar(20)
ageid int4

and make the records like this:
test 1
test 2
test 3
test 4

and then you can use a simple select to find your answer. (Yes, this looks
like you're storing more data, but that is how things are supposed to
work.)

Regarding b), arrays were created mostly for geometric objects. Of course
you still could ask questions like "give me a polygon that has some
coordinate that has a 20 in it", but it's unlikely and specialty functions
exist to deal with questions you would usually have.

    -Peter

On Oct 12, Kevin Heflin mentioned: