Re: [GENERAL] Startup Script

От Dan Parker
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Startup Script
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Duncan Kinder wrote:

> I have been told on the Novice list that in order to start Postgres for an
> Internet connection, it needs to have the -i flag set.
>
> However, following the documentation, for RedHat automatic startups, I have
> inserted the following language in my /etc/inittab file:
>
> pg:2345:respawn:/bin/su - Postgres -c
> "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D/usr/local/pgsql/data >>
> /usr/local/pgsql/server.log 2>&1 </dev/null"
>
> I would like to know how to edit this language so that Postgres will
> automatically start with the -i flag.

Duncan,

Change the line to:

pg:2345:respawn:/bin/su - Postgres -c
"/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D/usr/local/pgsql/data >>
/usr/local/pgsql/server.log 2>&1 </dev/null"

For what it's worth, this starts the server as part of the system startup
for init levels 2, 3, 4, and 5.  The respawn means that if the process
dies or exits it will be immediately restarted.  (Say, doesn't this solve
someone else's problem with restarting the backend?  Was that on the
GENERAL list?)  The 'su' changes the user to 'Postgres' (the user needed
to start the server -- root won't work) and runs the command indicated
after the '-c'.

Hope this helps!

Dan