Re: GreatBridge RPMs (was: Re: question)

От Roderick A. Anderson
Тема Re: GreatBridge RPMs (was: Re: question)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> In general, RPMs only work on systems that are the same as the one they
> were built on, for various degrees of "same".  If you're not picking up
> the RPMs from your distributor or you're sure that the builder used the
> same version as you have, it's always prudent to rebuild from the source
> RPM.  That should work, unless the package spec makes some unportable
> assumptions, such as different file system layouts.  But that is often
> only an annoyance, not a real problem.

While trying to get the FrontPage Extensions installed on a RedHat/Apache
system I ran into to different version numbering systems between RedHat
and Mandrake.  Major pain.  One called for perl 5.6.0-xxx and the other
perl 5.60-xxx.  After several hours of screwing around with it I took a
break.  Fortunately before I spent any more time on it the client I was
going to do it for decided to not run them with Apache.

I'm glad to see GreatBridge will be providing RPM's for many
distributions.  Though I do tend to re-compile from source I've found that
those mdk's don't work too good with RHL.

Rod