Re: postgres blobs and PHP

От Martin A. Marques
Тема Re: postgres blobs and PHP
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Adam Haberlach wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 07:30:19PM -0300, Martin A. Marques wrote:
> > I know I bothered with this, but I just don't get it.
> > Lets say I have a test table like this in a certain database:
> >
> > CREATE TABLE test (
> > id_test        SERIAL,
> > blob_text    oid
> > );
> >
> > Now I want to insert a good chunk of text in the blob_text field with PHP.
> > PHP has some postgres functions like pg_locreate, pg_lowrite, pg_loread, etc,
> > but it never specifies the table and it doesn't specify the field in the
> > table.
> > Now how does php know where to write the chunk of text (or the image, or
> > whatever)?
> > Can someone give me a hand?
>
>     It sticks it somewhere.  It is up to you to keep track of the Oid that
> lo_create gives you and stash it in your table so you can lo_open it later.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I don't see anything related with the oid
field in the lo functions of PHP.
I have done lots of stuffs with PHP and informix, and I think the way
PHP manages the informix blobs is much clearer. I don't know if it's
because of the way informix adds information to the blobs, or that the
guy that made the module had a good idea.
Anyway, I'm still clue-less!

P.D.: If I have to add BIG chunks of text to a database TEXT field, now
a days I would have trouble with Postgres 7.0.x because of the 8k per
tuple limitation. Will this be the same in future 7.1 version? I mean,
will the limitation grow higher, or will it disapear?

Saludos... ;-)

"And I'm happy, because you make me feel good, about me." - Melvin Udall
Martín Marqués            email:     martin@math.unl.edu.ar
Santa Fe - Argentina        http://math.unl.edu.ar/~martin/
Administrador de sistemas en math.unl.edu.ar