Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source

От Scott Beasley
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > My guess is that in most organizations only a handful of people
> > > understand the code.  The rest do support/sales/marketing.
> > >

> > Thats the way it is every place I have worked.  It's known as the 2/3
> > rule.  1/3 of your coders actually know what the hell is going on, the
> > other 2/3's of them are in the dark/do not care/collect a check.
>
> Oh, I didn't know it had a name.  I find it usually less than 1/3.

It's from the book, "The rise and fall of the American programer", if I
remember right (It's been several years since I read it.)  I would think
it's lower too, I guess it's an average, but I still find it true for the
most part.  I see open source being diffent tho.  The people working on OS
projects want to code.

scott