Re: RPM troubleshoot

От Thomas Good
Тема Re: RPM troubleshoot
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Hi.  You might want to initialise the database.  Prior to launching a
database server you'll need to initialise.

1)  cd to /etc/rc.d/init.d
2)  # ./postgresql start

This will su to postgres (the DBA account) and run initdb.  After your
db is created (template1) you will want to su to root, then su - postgres
and run createuser.  Create yourself as a user who can create other users
and dbs.  Then create a new db for your use.

BTW, I cp'd /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql to /usr/local/bin and then I call
it from /etc/rc.d/rc.local so the db server fires up on boot.

Oh yeah, the redhatters saw fit to put a muzzle on the postmaster's logging
abilities.  Edit the postgresql script.  Where you see the call to the
postmaster, rm the -S (as in silent) and *make sure* you add an ampersand
to the call else it will run in the foreground (a boo boo if you call it
via rc.local).

For clarity's sake (not my strong point) here is my hack:

su -l postgres -c '/usr/bin/postmaster -i -D/var/lib/pgsql >>
  /var/lib/pgsql/postlog 2>&1 &'

Mind you, I word wrapped here for legibility, but the above is all one
line.

Cheers,

               North Richmond Community Mental Health Center
Thomas Good, MIS Coordinator                tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
                                                        Phone: 718-354-5528
                                                        Fax:   718-354-5056
 North Richmond Systems       PostgreSQL                 s l a c k w a r e
   Are Powered By:              RDBMS                   |---------- linux