Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?

От Brett W. McCoy
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> I think this is an excellant discussion that really needs to be posted in
> the FAQ. I searches through the FAQ and the docs looking for a feature list
> and or a comparison with other major databases and I saw verly little info.
> Specifically there should be matrix of features with MS SQL7.0 Oracle,
> Informix, Sybase, and Interbase.  If at all possible benchmarks should be
> posted or at least some phrasing stating which are faster at what features.
> It would be very helpful for a potential Postgreas user to know what they
> are getting into.

There is something like that on the PostgreSQL website, although it needs
updating.  Also, MS-SQL is not included, nor is MySQL.

> Another thing that is needed is some sort of a front end tool like access
> to generate forms, reports, tables etc. I know that a programmer could whip
> something up using TK/GTK or java but I am thinking about an end user.

Actually, there is a tool now distributed with PostgreSQL called pgAccess
which is similar in spirit to MS-Access, although it still needs some
work.  There's also a nice utility called PgAdmin, a Windows applicaiton
that uses ODBC and is similar in functionality to SQl 7's Enterprise
Manager.  I agree, though, that PostgreSQL needs some good front-end
tools now to rival SQL 7.

Brett W. McCoy
                                        http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy/
Economics is extremely useful as a form of employment for economists.
        -- John Kenneth Galbraith

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?