Re: [HACKERS] "CANNOT EXTEND" -

От Peter T Mount
Тема Re: [HACKERS] "CANNOT EXTEND" -
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> [Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> > Thanks Bruce.
> >
> > Do you have any idea what happens with pg_dump when it hits 2GB??? Is it set
> > up to segment the files on linux? If not, I may have hit a brick wall here,
> > and have no way to back this baby up.
> >

> pg_dump only dumps a flat unix file.  That can be any size your OS
> supports.  It does not segment.  However, a 2gig table will dump to a
> much smaller version than 2gig because of the overhead for every record.

Hmmm, I think that, as some people are now using >2Gig tables, we should
think of adding segmentation to pg_dump as an option, otherwise this is
going to become a real issue at some point.

Also, I think we could do with having some standard way of dumping and
restoring large objects.

--       Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk     Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Faq: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgresJava PDF Generator: http://www.retep.org.uk/pdf