Re: [HACKERS] Odd question...

От Todd Graham Lewis
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Odd question...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> A friend just asked me a question...he just mentioned that someone he knew
> had just landed a job at AOL, working with a database that was described
> as being *bigger* then Oracle, with the substring "red" in the name...and
> earning something like $150+K US...

Last I heard, AOL was a hard-core Oracle shop.  Brad Knowles has stated
publicly that they use a big RDBMS as the back-end for their mail system
(and having helped build a mail system for 1m customers, I believe it);
I think that he even mentioned Oracle by name, and I know that Oracle
brags about them.

They might have a special build of Oracle to deal with their very high-end
requirements, or maybe they have something else entirely.  I suspect the
former.

--
Todd Graham Lewis            32�49'N,83�36'W         (800) 719-4664, x22804
******Linux******         MindSpring Enterprises      tlewis@mindspring.net

"A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood."          -- George S. Patton