Re: [HACKERS] RE: [GENERAL] Transaction logging

От Todd Graham Lewis
Тема Re: [HACKERS] RE: [GENERAL] Transaction logging
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Michael Davis wrote:

> What would it take to have transaction logging added to Postgres.  I am a
> c/c++ programmer and will consider contributing to the Postgres development
> effort.  I really like everything I see and read about Postgres.  As a
> result, I am strongly considering Postgres as the database engine for my
> Membership database application.  My customer is willing to invest in a
> commercial database, but most of the commercial databases I have briefly
> looked at fall a little short in one way or another.  I have several
> concerns/needs that I am willing to implement and/or support:
>
>     - Outer join support in views
>
>     - Transaction logging
>
>     - Some form of mirroring, shadowing, or replication

For this purpose, people might be interested in reading the following document:

    Distributed Relational Database Architecture
    http://www.opengroup.org/publications/catalog/c812.htm

    ABSTRACT: This Technical Standard is one of three volumes
    documenting the Distributed Relational Database Architecture
    Specification. This volume describes the connectivity between
    relational database managers that enables applications programs
    to access distributed relational data. It describes the
    necessary connection between an application and a relational
    database management system in a distributed environment; the
    responsibilities of the participants and when flows should occur;
    and the formats and protocols required for distributed database
    management system processing. It does not describe an API for
    distributed database management system processing.

They have PDF downloadable.

If people do decide to start working on db mirroring, this might be a good
doc to read, if nothing else than just to get a better understanding of the
issues involved.

--
Todd Graham Lewis            32�49'N,83�36'W          (800) 719-4664, x2804
******Linux******         MindSpring Enterprises      tlewis@mindspring.net

"A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood."          -- George S. Patton