Re: [HACKERS] 6.4.3? and version numbers

От Peter T Mount
Тема Re: [HACKERS] 6.4.3? and version numbers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Terry Mackintosh wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > First, what ever came of the talk of a 6.4.3 and supporting a release
> > back?
> >
> > A client of mine has 6.3 installed, and I need to know if I should advise
> > them to go to 6.4.2? or if 6.4.3 is about to come out? or how close is
> > 6.5?  (I want to use some of the features not in 6.3.x)
> >
> > -------------------------------------
> >
> > On another matter, version numbers.  What would every one think of numbers
> > where to 2nd number being odd or even denotes development or stable
> > respectively? like with the Linux kernel.
>
> Not in your wildest dreams...that has been asked over and over again ove
> the past few years, and I veto it each and every time...we follow the *BSD
> development model, not the Linux one...

Even though I'm in the Linux camp, I agree with Marc. I'd think it would
cause a lot of confusion to us developers trying to keep track of more
than one source tree.

Even my own development projects follow the PostgreSQL (aka BSD) model, as
to my mind it's the easiest to maintain.

Peter

--       Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk     Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Faq: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgresJava PDF Generator: http://www.retep.org.uk/pdf