Re: [GENERAL] space-effective varchar(255)-like arrangement

От Jan Vicherek
Тема Re: [GENERAL] space-effective varchar(255)-like arrangement
Дата
Список pgsql-general

 Hmm, let me guess ...

  one of the overhead elements for each row header is pointer to the next
row, right ? That way the summing-up of varlena types is avoided, although
the postgres engine still has to go from row header to row header to find
Nth row in a page (block), right ?

   Thx,

        Jan

On Sat, 26 Dec 1998, Jan Vicherek wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Dec 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > See the FAQ under character types.  varcahr() does not store the max
> > space, only used space.
>
>    hmm, thus if one block has 8192 bytes, and if there is 9-byte overhead
> for each row, then I can store 390 rows in one block if, on average,
> "names" are 10 chars in length ? echo $[ 8192 / ( 9 + 10 + 2 ) ] # = 390
>
>    If each record has variable length, pg has no way of calculating where
> is start of next record, other than going through the block and summing up
> lengths of varchars to determine where does next record begin, right ?
> (above I use word "record" and "row" interchangeably).
>
>     Thanx a bunch,
>
>         Jan
>

>  -- Gospel of Jesus is the saving power of God for all who believe --
>                 ## To some, nothing is impossible. ##
>                    http://Vicherek.Waterloo.on.ca/

 -- Gospel of Jesus is the saving power of God for all who believe --
                ## To some, nothing is impossible. ##
                   http://Vicherek.Waterloo.on.ca/

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] space-effective varchar(255)-like arrangement
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] space-effective varchar(255)-like arrangement