joins and stuff

От Walt Bigelow
Тема joins and stuff
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hello all:

I am having an issue related to returning of records within a join.  Here
is the join that I am doing:

SELECT
    projecttitle,
    wonumber,
    date,
    tbladdressdirectory.company as fclient,
    tbladdressdirectory_1.company as agency,
    tbladdressdirectory_2.company as agencyclient,
    tblcontacts.contactname as contact
FROM
    tblproject,
    tbladdressdirectory,
    tbladdressdirectory as tbladdressdirectory_1,
    tbladdressdirectory as tbladdressdirectory_2,
    tblcontacts
WHERE
    tblproject.fclient = tbladdressdirectory.agencyid AND
    tblproject.agencyid = tbladdressdirectory_1.agencyid AND
    tblproject.aclientid = tbladdressdirectory_2.agencyid AND
    tblproject.fclientcontactid = tblcontacts.contactid AND
    projectid = 77;

I came upon a record with an invalid contactid in tblprojects (an id that
is not in the tblcontacts table) and the resultant output is (0 rows).

My question is how can I have the server return a row weather or not a
join completed successfully?  i.e. Have it return a NULL or something when
it cannot match the 2 tables, instead of failing completely.

It was mostly my stupid mistake that caused the above to occour -- the
front end (msAccess  yuck) that I wrote failed to update or check to see
if the contact I was deleting is actually in use or not.  But on another
table I would like the option of having a field in the main table NULL and
still have the select return everything else.

Thanks for any help,
Walt

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: