Re: [GENERAL] New FAQ item

От Howie
Тема Re: [GENERAL] New FAQ item
Дата
Re: [GENERAL] New FAQ item  (Kaare Rasmussen <kar@webline.dk>)
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> [SNIP]
>    Features
>           PostgreSQL has most features present in large commercial
>           DBMS's, like transactions, subselects, and sophisticated
>           locking. We have some features they don't have, like
>           user-defined types, inheritance, rules, and multi-version
>           concurrency control to reduce lock contention. We don't have
>           foreign key referential integrity or outer joins, but are
>           working on them for our next release.

actually, via refint, you do have foreign keys.

> [SNIP]
>           In comparison to MySQL or leaner database systems, we are
>           slower because we have transaction overhead. We are built for
>           flexibility and features, not speed, though we continue to
>           improve performance through profiling and source code analysis.

id rephrase this to include 'inserts/updates' -- 6.5 is comparable to
mysql for selects, given the proper indexes.

id also stress that postgres supports (fully?) SQL92, triggers,
transactions, subselects, views, etc; these features are currently
unimplemented in mysql and msql ( does anyone still _use_ msql?  3hours
for a 2 table join was just a big nono ).

or maybe instead of comparing to mysql/msql, compare pgsql to oracle,
sybase, informix, et al.  much cleaner comparison there, seeing
that mysql/msql dont support triggers, transactions, etc.

> [SNIP]

---
Howie <caffeine@toodarkpark.org>   URL: http://www.toodarkpark.org
"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success."