install problem

От Eric J McKeown
Тема install problem
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hello folks,

I'm attempting to install Postgres 6.4.2, and everything has gone
beautifully up until the time I try to run initdb.  I'm installing
everything into /home/local/pgsql, and postgres exists as a user, and
postgres owns and has appropriate permissions on /home/local/pgsql and all
files/directories below there.  However, when I attempt to run initdb, I
get this message every time:

Only the unix superuser may initialize a database with a different
Postgres superuser.  (You must be able to create files that belong
to the specified unix user).

I've checked the FAQ, but it doesn't seem to cover this one.  I also have
set up proper paths for the postgres user, so I'm pretty sure that can't
be the problem.  This one has me confused, but I'm willing to bet it's
something someone here has seen many times before (I'm hoping anyway ;)).

TIA.

Eric McKeown, Web Developer
ericm@palaver.net | (219) 253-8131
Palaver | http://www.palaver.net