Re: [SQL] idiom to mv recs => [NEW] bleeding lock?

От Thomas Good
Тема Re: [SQL] idiom to mv recs => [NEW] bleeding lock?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, Jan Wieck wrote:

>     Use a transaction and lock the source table first.
>
>         BEGIN TRANSACTION;
>         LOCK TABLE src_table;

Jan & Herouth,

I've been using this for some time but lately lots of data is going
into the system (hope this means more revenue as well ;-)

My point:  when attempting to do a SELECT the table lock blocks even
this activity.  Is this a bleeding lock?  Shouldn't a simple SELECT
succeed?  I dunno...but this is problematic as users are looking for
info while the data entry person is doing her thing...ouch.

Another bit of whining: in my PROGRESS dbs the user gets a NOTICE
when a table is LOCKED and his/her SELECT is on hold:
`tablename is in use by doofus on term/1a11...press CTRL-C or Wait'
Is there a way to implement this with pg?

 Cheers,
 Tom

    ----------- Sisters of Charity Medical Center ----------
                    Department of Psychiatry
                              ----
 Thomas Good, System Administrator            <tomg@q8.nrnet.org>
 North Richmond CMHC/Residential Services     Phone: 718-354-5528
 75 Vanderbilt Ave, Quarters 8                Fax:   718-354-5056
 Staten Island, NY   10304                    www.panix.com/~ugd
                              ----
 Powered by PostgreSQL 6.3.2 / Perl 5.004 / DBI-0.91::DBD-PG-0.69

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: