Re: [INTERFACES] postgres for spatial data

От Peter T Mount
Тема Re: [INTERFACES] postgres for spatial data
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, David Gross wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     I want to use postgres as a spatial database manager.
>     I'm looking for a graphical interface that can display the
> geometric types like polygon,...

The reason I started working on the JDBC driver was so that I could use
postgres for Spatial work with another project of mine. (I've been working
partly with GIS for the last four years).

Anyhow, on the java front, the other project is an astronomical toolkit
that uses postgres as a storage medium, and employs several GIS techniques
for chart generation.

Any how, I'm hoping to have the initial release of it to be out around the
same time as postgresql 6.4 is out.

>     I'm also looking for SQL extension in order to make
> spatial queries (for example, a function that tells if a point
> belongs to the interior of a polygon)

I haven't got that far on the spatial queries yet (most of the work I've
done so far uses just points).

Also, the available functions are all two dimensional, and I will need
to handle spherical geometry in queries at some point.

--
Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk or petermount@earthling.net
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk