Re: [GENERAL] What to do with no foreign keys

От Brian
Тема Re: [GENERAL] What to do with no foreign keys
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Bruce Tong wrote:

> > How can I insure that for example "home_team_name" is one of
> > "baseball_team.team_name"?
> >
> > I have seen in books things like:
> >
> > PRIMARY KEY: home_team
> > FOREIGN KEY: home_team JOIN TO baseball_team.team_name
> >
> > is there anyway to do this in postgresql?
>
> I asked the same question a week or two ago. If I remember correctly,
> foreign keys are not yet part of PostgreSQL, but they will be part of the
> next release. It was suggested that it would be appropriate to handle
> these sorts of issues within your code at this point.

Ok, so there is no way to tie values between tables..........I can live
with that.  I think Postgres is really going to be something in a few
years, I mean it already is, but once outer joins, foreign keys and a few
of the other features are worked in, I think there will be alot of places
taking a second look and trying Postgres.

We use a billing system for ISP's called Platypus (www.boardtown.com).  It
uses MS SQL server as its backend.  Many people that use platypus would
prefer it to use Postgres.  One of the reasons we beleive boardtown
doesn't support Postgres at this time is because of a few features SQL
server has over Postgres, and they would have to work around those.

Brian

> Bruce Tong                 |  Got me an office; I'm there late at night.
> Systems Programmer         |  Just send me e-mail, maybe I'll write.
> Electronic Vision / FITNE  |
> zztong@laxmi.ev.net        |  -- Joe Walsh for the 21st Century

| Brian Feeny                | USR TC Hubs | ShreveNet Inc. (318)222-2638  |
| Network Administrator      | Perl, Linux | Web hosting, online stores,   |
| ShreveNet Inc.             |  USR Pilot  | Dial-Up 14.4-56k, ISDN & LANs |
| 89 CRX DX w/MPFI, lots of  |-=*:Quake:*=-| http://www.shreve.net/        |
| mods/Homepage coming soon  |LordSignal/SN| Quake server: 208.206.76.47   |

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] What to do with no foreign keys
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] What to do with no foreign keys