Re: AW: [HACKERS] Begin statement again

От sferac@bo.nettuno.it
Тема Re: AW: [HACKERS] Begin statement again
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Zeugswetter Andreas wrote:

> I think we should depreciate the BEGIN/END keywords in SQL to allow them
> to be used for the new PL/SQL. So definitely leave them out of ecpg now.
> Only accept BEGIN WORK and BEGIN TRANSACTION. (do a sequence of commit work; begin work)

Apologies for intrusion.

I think we don't need BEGIN/END at all, these statements aren't SQL standard.
END is an alias for COMMIT.
(why do we need two statements to do the same thing?).

from man commit:
       "...
       This   commands  commits  the  current  transaction.   All
       changes made by the transaction become visible  to  others
       and  are guaranteed to be durable if a crash occurs.
       COMMIT is functionally equivalent to the END command"

from man begin:
       "...
       commands  commits  the  current  transaction.   All
       changes made by the transaction become visible  to  others
       and are guaranteed to be durable if a crash occurs."

and BEGIN should be changed to SQL standard SET TRANSACTION statement.
-------
PS:
    I think PL/pgSQL is an eccellent idea. Go for it.
                                                            Ciao, Jose'

Сообщение: RE: [HACKERS] PL/pgSQL - for discussion (RETURN)
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] PL/pgSQL - for discussion (RETURN)