Re: [HACKERS] (: JDBC+(Sun ~3:pm MST) CVS :) -also question about regression tests

От teunis
Тема Re: [HACKERS] (: JDBC+(Sun ~3:pm MST) CVS :) -also question about regression tests
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

> > > JDBC works
> > > postgres works
> > > platform : linux  (I'm not posting kernel version! it doesn't matter!! :)
> > >       egcs-2.91.06    (gcc-2.8.0 with haifa scheduler + other updates)
> > >       glibc-2.0.5c    from RedHat-5.0 distrib - should be stable
> > >                       [but with full crypt, locale]
> > >
> > > But : Here's output from regression tests:
> > > Is there anything wrong with the failed tests?  (is it known?)
> >
> > I get the same regression output.  checkresults shows you the problems,
> > and it mostly error message words or rounding.
>
> Hmm. A linux box is used to generate the expected results, so we need to be
> more careful here. I suspect that you have date/time trouble reported earlier
> by (Oliver?? can't find the e-mail, sorry). A few of the math functions in
> glibc2.0.x were misbehaving, leading to troubles like '3 hours 59 minutes 60
> seconds' rather than '4 hours' in timespan output.
>
> That person submitted patches, but they were pretty specific to the glibc2
> problems. Of course, I've already got some ugly code in there because Solaris
> had some similar broken math, so perhaps we should figure out how to extract
> all of the busted code into the port-specific files?

I'll say it again and again - glibc-2.0 is the _STANDARD_ (actually
reference) platform for Unix.  All Unix.  Not just Linux.
Adopted last year.

If there's any problems with glibc-2 - that is BAD for postgres.  There
HAVE been real bugs with glibc-2 : but they are very rare (thankfully :).

In other words - please fix it! :)
[glibc-2 was adopted by Unix98 IIRC as the reference platform to base all
libc's on.  Sure a nice change to have public/GNU software providing the
specs... :]  (the last time was BSD's telnet/ftp varient - a LONG time ago
IIRC)

G'day, eh? :)
    - Teunis