Re:

От Matthew Hixson
Тема Re:
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Ashley T. Howes wrote:

> I was wondering if PostgreSQL takes advantage of multiple CPUs when
> placed in a single Linux box.  Or are multiple CPUs utilised as long
> as the Linux kernel is compiled to take advantage of them?

If you compile an SMP kernel Linux will balance processes and threads
evenly across the CPUs.  One client hitting the database may not see a
huge advantage of a multi-processor machine, but the Linux box is also
running other processes than the postmaster, even if its the kernel
itself.  Of course, if two clients hit the box at the same time then each
postgres backend process could execute on a different CPU.  For a heavily
loaded machine I think you would see a measurable difference in using an
multi-proc box.
  -M@