Commercial support, was Re: [HACKERS] v6.4.3 ?

От Terry Mackintosh
Тема Commercial support, was Re: [HACKERS] v6.4.3 ?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi all

> >     That's  the  reason.  One  of  the  biggest drawbacks against
> >     Postgres is (for many companies at least), that you can't buy
> >     support.

IMHO ...

Well, yes one can, one may just need to look around a bit... and pay
commercial support prices.

Example:
As for my self I feel confident that I could provide such support, having
been using Postgres+ since Postgres 0.95? (3?4 years ago?).  I charge
$25/hour, but have been considering going to $30/hour. While I've yet to
get a PostgreSQL specific job, I have had some other Linux based jobs.

I'll bet that there are many people scattered around the globe that can
also provide such support.

Perhaps it might be of benefit to both the PostgreSQL image and
companies considering using PostgreSQL if there where a support team
around the world that could be called on.  So, that said, what does every
one think of the idea of maintaining on the PostgreSQL web site a contact
list of "Authorized Support Centers"?

Presto, instant commercial support around the globe.

In addition, some time back there was a lot of talk about how to raise
some money to support PostgreSQL development.  Well, what if 2%? 5%? or
so of money earned (related to PostgreSQL) from such official support
centers went back to the PostgreSQL development group (what ever that
is.).

PostgreSQL is one of the top 2 or 3 choices to run on Linux, maybe the 1st
choice.  And Linux is  now exploding in popularity, both in the home and
in the company (I just came from a job where half the computers where
Linux boxes -- ~40 employees, all with computers.)

So, this means that the need for such support will become acute in the
next year or two, and if PostgreSQL already has such a system in place and
debugged, then that alone could put PostgreSQL way out ahead of all the
other choices.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Thanks for reading this far,
Have a great day
Terry Mackintosh <terry@terrym.com>               http://www.terrym.com
sysadmin/owner                  I'm excited about life! How about YOU!?

Proudly powered by R H Linux 4.2, Apache 1.3.x, PHP 3.x, PostgreSQL 6.x
Only if you know where you're going can you get there.