Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] Arrays (inserting and removing)

От neil d. quiogue
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] Arrays (inserting and removing)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

>     Major problem with OID: OIDs are sequenced across the database,
> not the table.  ie. tableA inserts with OID #1, tableB inserts with OID
> #2, tableA inserts next record with OID #3, tableC then gets #4, etc...

in my oo world (i.e., systems i develop), i use oid's to determine the
type of object and due to the limitation of postgresql's oids, i use a
separate field for the system's oid - kinda redundant but gotta live with
it.  nonetheless, postgresql's oids can still be improved.

>     And...# of OIDs is finite...so if you have a lot of tables with
> alot of data in each...you run the risk of running out.

finitely limited :)

[---]
Neil D. Quiogue <neil@iphil.net>
IPhil Communications Network, Inc.