Re: [HACKERS] Re: New pg_pwd patch and stuff

От Peter T Mount
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: New pg_pwd patch and stuff
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, todd brandys wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > OK, general question.  Does pg_user need to be readable?  Do
> > non-postgres users want to see who owns each table?  I don't know.
>
> I'd say yes, as we have stuff in JDBC yet to implement that will access
> this table.
>
> ----------------------------------
>
> What is it that you need to implement in JDBC for which a general user needs
> to be able to see tables that other users own?  If this is some type of admin,
> 'stuff' that the postgres user will execute, then he/she will be able to run it
> no problem.

It's a call that's part of the JDBC specification. so it can be called by
user code, or admin code.

Here's what I have on it.

Interface java.sql.DatabaseMetaData

 public abstract ResultSet getTablePrivileges(String catalog,
                                              String schemaPattern,
                                              String tableNamePattern)
                    throws SQLException

          Get a description of the access rights for each table available
          in a catalog. Note that a table privilege applies to one or
          more columns in the table. It would be wrong to assume that
          this priviledge applies to all columns (this may be true for
          some systems but is not true for all.)

          Only privileges matching the schema and table name criteria are
          returned. They are ordered by TABLE_SCHEM, TABLE_NAME, and
          PRIVILEGE.

          Each privilige description has the following columns:

         1. TABLE_CAT String => table catalog (may be null)
         2. TABLE_SCHEM String => table schema (may be null)
         3. TABLE_NAME String => table name
         4. GRANTOR => grantor of access (may be null)
         5. GRANTEE String => grantee of access
         6. PRIVILEGE String => name of access (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE,
            REFRENCES, ...)
         7. IS_GRANTABLE String => "YES" if grantee is permitted to grant
            to others; "NO" if not; null if unknown

        Parameters:
                catalog - a catalog name; "" retrieves those without a
                catalog; null means drop catalog name from the selection
                criteria
                schemaPattern - a schema name pattern; "" retrieves those
                without a schema
                tableNamePattern - a table name pattern

        Returns:
                ResultSet - each row is a table privilege description

        Throws: SQLException
                if a database-access error occurs.

        See Also:
                getSearchStringEscape