Re: AW: [HACKERS] isnull() or is it?t

От Vince Vielhaber
Тема Re: AW: [HACKERS] isnull() or is it?t
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > With SyBase, IsNull(X,Y) returns X if X is not null, and Y
> > > if X is null.
> >
> > Which is identical in behavior to the SQL92-defined function
> > COALESCE(X,Y) (IsNull() is not in the standard). This is now in the
> > Postgres development tree, to be available in the next release. Should
> > we also have the less capable IsNull() available too? COALESCE() has the
> > nice feature that it takes an unlimited number of arguments, returning
> > the first non-null result.
>
> Oh, NVL and isnull are not standard?  Then let's just use coalesce.  I
> will remove them from the TODO list.

Surprises me too.  I was under the (incorrect) impression that isnull
was standard.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2  Online Searchable Campground Listings    http://www.camping-usa.com      "There is no outfit less
entitledto lecture me about bloat              than the federal government"  -- Tony Snow