Re: Updated posix fadvise patch v19

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Updated posix fadvise patch v19
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Gregory Stark wrote:

> In particular I was hoping Zoltan who original reported the sequential
> file strategy stuff being helpful might be able to see if this works for
> him.

The original message there suggested it was particularly valuable when
working with a somewhat broken kernel that was handling multiple
simultaenous reads badly.  I think the idea here is that if you've got an
OS that handles that situation well, then the fadvise calls don't help
much.  But having them in there does improve the odds that the kernel will
do the right thing with the sequential reads.