Re: Which hardware ?

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Which hardware ?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Lionel wrote:

> I did some test with a 20 millions lines database on a single disk dual core
> 2GB win XP system (default postgresql config), most of the time is spent in
> I/O: 50-100 secs for statements that scan 6 millions of lines, which will
> happen. Almost no CPU activity.

I hope you're aware that the default config is awful, and there are all
sorts of possible causes for heavy I/O churn that might improve if you
setup the postgresql.conf file to use the server's resources more
aggressively (the default is setup for machines with a very small amount
of RAM).  There are lots of links to articles that cover the various areas
you might improve at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Performance_Optimization