Re: RAID 10 Benchmark with different I/O schedulers

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: RAID 10 Benchmark with different I/O schedulers
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 6 May 2008, Craig James wrote:

> I only did two runs of each, which took about 24 minutes.  Like the first
> round of tests, the "noise" in the measurements (about 10%) exceeds the
> difference between scheduler-algorithm performance, except that
> "anticipatory" seems to be measurably slower.

Those are much better results.  Any test that says anticipatory is
anything other than useless for database system use with a good controller
I presume is broken, so that's how I know you're in the right ballpark now
but weren't before.

In order to actually get some useful data out of the noise that is
pgbench, you need a lot more measurements of longer runs.  As perspective,
the last time I did something in this area, in order to get enough data to
get a clear picture I ran tests for 12 hours.  I'm hoping to repeat that
soon with some more common hardware that gives useful results I can give
out.

> So it still looks like cfq, noop and deadline are more or less equivalent
> when used with a battery-backed RAID.

I think it's fair to say they're within 10% of one another on raw
throughput.  The thing you're not measuring here is worst-case latency,
and that's where there might be a more interesting difference.  Most tests
I've seen suggest deadline is the best in that regard, cfq the worst, and
where noop fits in depends on the underlying controller.

pgbench produces log files with latency measurements if you pass it "-l".
Here's a snippet of shell that runs pgbench then looks at the resulting
latency results for the worst 5 numbers:

pgbench ... -l &
p=$!
wait $p
mv pgbench_log.${p} pgbench.log
echo Worst latency results:
cat pgbench.log | cut -f 3 -d " " | sort -n | tail -n 5

However, that may not give you much useful info either--in most cases
checkpoint issues kind of swamp the worst-base behavior in PostgreSQL,
and to quantify I/O schedulers you need to look more complicated
statistics on latency.

Сообщение: Re: Possible Redundancy/Performance Solution
Сообщение: Re: Possible Redundancy/Performance Solution