Re: Performance problem. Could it be related to 8.3-beta4?

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Performance problem. Could it be related to 8.3-beta4?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 4 Jan 2008, Clodoaldo wrote:

> I built a new system and installed 8.3-beta4.

How did you get 8.3-beta4?  If you used the RPMs available from the
PostgreSQL FTP site, those are optimized for finding bugs at the expense
of speed.  If that's where you got them from, try putting this line in
your postgresql.conf and testing 8.3 again:

debug_assertions = false

If things speed up considerably you're suffering from that issue, and may
need to build your own copy of 8.3 from source in order to get a fair
comparision.

> Production system:
> #autovacuum = off                       # enable autovacuum subprocess?
>
> New system's postgresql.conf:

I didn't see anything about autovacum on the new system.  If it's off on
8.2 and on in 8.3 (the default) that might be contributing to your
difference.

Also, I hope you don't normally run your production system with fsync=off
as that's kind of scary.