Re: Data on NAS / NFS

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Data on NAS / NFS
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Jean-Denis Girard wrote:

> The NAS would be from LaCie, using 4 disks (Raid5 + spare)
> (http://www.lacie.com/fr/products/product.htm?pid=10876), mounted via NFS
> from a Linux server running Postgresql .

Leaving aside the general issue here for others to chime in on (my opinion
is that putting a PostgreSQL database on this class of network storage
would be crazy but I have no hard data to support that), I would strongly
recommend against any of LaCie's products in this area.  The company got a
decent reputation based on their early Mac Firewire products, but it's
been a number of years since they released any product that I would
consider worth storing even a byte of data on.  Their designs are buggy
from day one, the reliability is awful, and the issues stem from their
bridge chipsets.

It took me only seconds to find a sample page with multiple anecdotal
samples on this subject:

http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/hard-drives/m/11165851/

The problems with their products are so widespread I'm sure it would be
easy for you to find many more if you search around a bit.