Re: Group Commit

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Group Commit
Дата
Re: Group Commit  (Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 9 Apr 2007, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> The big question is who is going to care about the milliseconds delay
> and is using a configuration that is going to benefit from commit_delay.

I care.  WAL writes are a major bottleneck when many clients are
committing near the same time.  Both times I've played with the
commit_delay settings I found it improved the peak throughput under load
at an acceptable low cost in latency.  I'll try to present some numbers on
that when I get time, before you make me cry by taking it away.

An alternate mechanism that tells the client the commit is done when it
hasn't hit disk is of no use for the applications I work with, so I
haven't even been paying attention to no-commit-wait.