Re: Configuration Advice

От Steve
Тема Re: Configuration Advice
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> Note that you only need to have the ASC and DESC versions of opclasses when
> you are going to use multicolumn indexes with some columns in ASC order and
> some in DESC order. For columns used by themselves in an index, you don't
> need to do this, no matter which order you are sorting on.

Yeah, I assumed the people 'in the know' on this kind of stuff would know
the details of why I have to have those, and therefore I wouldn't have to
go into detail as to why -- but you put your finger right on it. :)
Unfortunately the customer this is for wants certain columns joined at the
hip for querying and sorting, and this method was a performance godsend
when we implemented it (with a C .so library, not using SQL in our
opclasses or anything like that).

Steve