Re: Use of ISpell dictionaries with tsearch2 - what is

От Oleg Bartunov
Тема Re: Use of ISpell dictionaries with tsearch2 - what is
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Don,

let me to answer to your original question
"Use of ISpell dictionaries with tsearch2 - what is the point?".

The purpose of any dictionaries in search engines is to help people
to search words not bothering about different forms (declension, inflexion,...).
Dictionaries could be used to process query as well as in the indexing.
You may store original form of a word and/or it's stem. Most complete index
stores both variants and could provide exact search, but at index's size cost.
Historically, since tsearch2 was based on gist storage, which is quite
sensitive to the number of unique words, so we store only stems. This might
be changed in future, since now we could use inverted index with tsearch2.

ISpell dictionary is a (open-source) way  to find word's stem(s), their
quality is very different for different languages. We use russian ispell
dictionary and found it rather useful. Of course, since real language is
much complex than ispell rules, there are errors, which produce "noise"
in search results.  Ispell dictionary could return several normal forms
for one word, for example, booking has two infinitives - booking and book.

Ispell dictionary support many ways of word building, but are difficult to
build and support. That's why various stemming algorithms become popular,
read http://snowball.tartarus.org/texts/introduction.html for good introduction.
We chose snowball stemmer since it's open-source and written/supported by
well-known Martin Porter.

For each lexeme class there is a configurable dictionary queue (in pg_ts_cfgmap).
Lexeme  passes through this queue until it recognized by some dictionary
(currently, there is no possibility to recognize lexeme and pass it to the
next dictionary). It's tenable to begin from very specific dictionary
(topic related, synonym), and finish queue with most common dictionary like
'simple' or 'stemmer', which recognize everything :)

Specific configuration is very depends on the language, availability of
good dictionaries and the goals of search engine.
Snowball stemmer works good for english language,
since word formation is mostly suffix-oriented (I might be wrong here !),
so having not good ispell dictionary, one could use just snowball stemmer.
On the other side, for russian language we have good ispell dictionary,
which is actively developed and supported, and russian word building is
quite complex, so we definitely recommend to use ispell dictionary before
snowball stemmer.

It's quite difficult to index mix of several languages which share common
characters, since there is no possibility to recognize language. I'd
definitely warn you against using stemmer except at the very end of queue,
since it recognizes everything and no dictionaries after it will be utilized.
Hopefully, any useful text shoud have only one main language. If, for example,
the main language is French and second one - English, I'd use
French Ispell, English Ispell, French stemmer.

Oleg
On Mon, 1 May 2006, Don Walker wrote:

> Are you saying that the English ISpell dictionary isn't particularly useful
> for English text if you're using the English stemmer? One of the concerns
> that I had about the use of ISpell on English text was that ISpell could
> provide two or more alternatives for a single search term that would
> increase the number of unique words and hurt performance. The examples I saw
> all would have been reduced to a single stem by the English stemmer.
>
> If I have to deal with a mix of English and French would using a French
> ISpell dictionary followed by an English stemmer be the best approach? If
> I'm wrong about the use of English ISpell, then what would be the best
> sequence, e.g. French ISpell, English ISpell, English stemmer?

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83