Re: with vs without oids in pg_catalog.*

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: with vs without oids in pg_catalog.*
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dear Tom,

> > So my question still is: Given the fact that I have some use for these
> > oids, would it make sense to submit a patch to add them?
>
> It will be rejected.

That's a simple a direct answer as I like them.
So I won't bother to submit a patch;-)

BTW, maybe you could reject some of the patches I submitted earlier,
rather than to simply ignore them?

> We removed pg_attribute OIDs some time ago, and we aren't going to put
> them back without a much better reason than this.  If you need a
> specific counterargument, here is one: pg_attribute is normally much the
> largest catalog.  If we required its rows to have unique OIDs, the
> probability of collisions after OID-counter wraparound would be much
> greater than it is in other catalogs.

Mmh. Maybe you could have considered sequences.

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho@cri.ensmp.fr