Re: confused with encodings

От Oleg Bartunov
Тема Re: confused with encodings
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> > Tatsuo,
> >
> > recently I tried to understand why I can't get sorting works properly
> > with cyrillic characters  in UTF8 datbase. I figure out the
> > reason of my confusion - I thought I could specify different encodings
> > for different databases and these encodings will be used in text operations
> > (sort, upper,lower), not just for conversion.
> > But, actually, the only encoding is important for text operations - the one
> > specified with 'initdb' command ! Is't true ?
> >
> > If so, it's a big issue :)
> >
> > After I created separate storage for unicode (initdb -E utf8) and
> > restarted postmaster I got success with 'order by', but
> > upper(), lower() functions still fails.
>
> [I assume you enable the locale support.]

isn't it enabled by default ?

> Dont't ask me. These are locale support problems.

Sorry, I just wanted to understand where I get confused.
You're right, utf8 locale support in glibc is broke,
I've tested simple C-program with glibc 2.2.5 and 2.3.1 on
Linux system and toupper, tolower functions are broken.

btw, did you try libutf8 library ?
http://www.haible.de/bruno/packages-libutf8.html

> --
> Tatsuo Ishii

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83