Re: tsearch comments

От Oleg Bartunov
Тема Re: tsearch comments
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 28 Jan 2003, eric@did-it.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I guess what we're looking for is something on the order (as much as I
> hate using it as a reference) of MySQL's full text search which does
> offer some ranking.
>
> Just putting ranking alone in tsearch would be a huge benefit. Users can
> then decide in their own language how to display results, especially
> since those results may not necessarily require titles or description
> fragments.
>
> For example, we have several huge tables that have the following
> columns:
>
> > id
> > tbltype
> > title
> > description
>
> Basically, our customer will lookup words that are contained in title
> and description, so we make an additional table like:
>
> > id
> > tblid (id of the source table)
> > tblsource (which table)
> > content (txtidx)
>
> Then we can use tsearch to search the second table (we do now), and once
> we retrieve the id's that we want, we can display results from one or
> more source tables. Just putting in ranking in tsearch would solve all
> these problems.

Hmm, people used to concatenation to get the same result. Do you really
need that table ? Your problem doesn't relate to ranking of results.

We could add some ranking support based on local (per-document) statistics.
Keeping global statistics, for example, TFxIDF, would complicate tsearch
and maintaining of indices. Proximity ranking as in OpenFTS require
more options in tsearch configuration. Let us think about ranking later
after we implement friendly interface.