Re: tsearch comments

От Oleg Bartunov
Тема Re: tsearch comments
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Tomaz Borstnar wrote:

> At 13:47 28.1.2003 +0300, Oleg Bartunov wrote the following message:
> >We want to keep tsearch as simple as it's and now we just add
> >better and friendly configurability. Do we need complicate tsearch ?
>
> Sometimes you need that because some other app is putting data into database.

So, you'll end up with something like OpenFTS, which was designed as
*engine* to be integrated into  other apps. The real problem is that
OpenFTS is written in perl and porting to  other languages is
difficult task. new tsearch already has some features of OpenFTS and
we're slowly moving to idea we should rewrite OpenFTS in 'C',
so writing interfaces would be much simpler.
There is major problem with moving ALL features of OpenFTS to tsearch
we don't know how to resolve - generation of headlines, text fragments
with hilighted query terms. Once we resolve that we could concentrate
on tsearch with ranking support.