RE: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !!

От Oleg Bartunov
Тема RE: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !!
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Mikheev, Vadim wrote:

> > The RelFileNodeEquals() bug we found on Monday proves that no one had
> > yet done enough stress-testing on 7.1 to discover that multiple
> > databases were broken.  Think about that for awhile before
> > you campaign for inserting untested new features at this point.
> > We need to focus on TESTING, people, not new features.
>
> I mostly sure that Oleg' changes touch *only* gist subdir (Oleg?)

Yes, and only one file - gist.c

> so *nothing* will be broken in other areas. That's why I don't
> object new gist in 7.1.

We prepare regression test for RD-Tree in the same way as Gene
does for his contribution. I put all files on
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/. btw, all Gene's
test for seg and cube in contrib area are passed. It would be better
Gene check his application himself.

I'm sorry for trouble with my submission  - I hoped we will be ready
before beta2,3, but we spent too many time to get old insertion
algoritm works with variable size keys until we realized it's just
not suitable for this.

I understand Tom's arguments and respect his experience, so I think it's
possible to put link to my page in 7.1 docs for people interested in
GiST features. Also, we found GiST part of postgres documentation
is too short, so we'll try to contribute something sometime later.
From other side, GiST was too hidden for people, while it's very
powerfull feature and many people for sure really needs GiST power.
Frankly speaking I discovered GiST power myself by accident :-)
Now we have many plans to use GiST in our real life applications such as
Web site management system, full text search (killer application !),
data mining and others.

There are several improvements and new features we plan to add to GiST
which could be go to 7.2.
Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83