[HACKERS] Installation procedure.

От J. Michael Roberts
Тема [HACKERS] Installation procedure.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
You people are harsh.

BTW, I didn't modify the pg_hba.conf file at all since I want to allow
only local use, so ... um ... since I really haven't digested the usage of
the whole host configuration thing, I haven't the faintest clue whether
that would be the problem.

However, either way, I'd like to understand what happened and make sure
that the next hapless newbie doesn't spend as much time on it as I did.
Which, granted, wasn't that much time.

Here are a couple of surprises, then, that I encountered during this.

- initdb complained that it couldn't find a user.  I gave it -u postgres.
- I needed to install flex (no surprise) -- the instructions are quite explicit, but, well, wrong: flex depends on
bison. So you have to get and compile bison first.  Also, the GNU FTP server has "redisorganized" their file structure,
sothe very detailed FTP instructions for getting flex are also outdated.

- Being only halfway a sysadmin, I was a little worried about making a postgres "superuser".  I just made a postgres
userand didn't worry about the super part, and it seems to work.  Am I missing a point?

- The aforementioned shared memory problem was distressing.  Thank God somebody else had just encountered it.  Is there
anybetter way to trap for that?  Should the default number of backends be made something less than 32 so that the
"commonsetting" of 1 meg will be safe?  Am I being too wimpy?

That's pretty much it.  Seems to be perking along happily now, but I
haven't run the regression tests yet.