Re: Fast Inserts and Hardware Questions

От adb
Тема Re: Fast Inserts and Hardware Questions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Have you done any benchmarks with a prototype of your application.

Based off of some of the numbers I've been seeing with my testing,
I would not be surprised if a single pIII 1ghz box with a decent disk
(ata 100 or scsi 160) would handle the load you describe and is way
cheaper than some big smp box.  A dual pIII with a decent raid card
would get you even farther.  Certainly these are not as expandable as
other options out there but they are worth a look.

What I would be most concered about is a table that grows by a few million
rows a week, that to me seems like a liability in itself since
maintenance on that table will get pretty slow after a few months.

Alex.