Re: [HACKERS] Create Group

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Create Group
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:

> > CREATE GROUP name [ WITH [ SYSID id ] [ USER name1, name2, ... ] ]
> > ALTER GROUP name WITH SYSID id      /* changes sysid */
> > ALTER GROUP name ADD USER name1, name2, ...
> > ALTER GROUP name DROP USER name1, name2, ...
> > DROP GROUP name

> I think a group can be interpreted somehow like a priviledge.
> As such the statement to add or remove a user from a group
> would be a "grant" statement.

Not really, at least not in our context. A group is a collection
("group") of users which can collectively be granted privileges. For
example, you can do grant select on your_table to group staff (even right
now).

> The standard mutters something about "role"s
> (again haven't looked it up)
> I don't like the word role instead of group, but maybe if there
> is a standard we should use it.
>
> Informix and Oracle use the keyword role for groups,
> and use grant/revoke to administer them.

I suppose they have a slightly different underlying philosposhy then.
PostgreSQL already uses "group" all over the place, this is just a logical
extension which was missing.