Re: [GENERAL] Postgres database on RAM disk - the article in LinuxFocus

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Postgres database on RAM disk - the article in LinuxFocus
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Last time I checked PostgreSQL already caches the whole database in memory
anyway, with sufficient resources and a proper setup of course. The writes
will not be as fast as a RAM disk since they must go through to the actual
disk. But of course putting a production database on a RAM disk is nuts in
and by itself unless you have a very sophisticated backup mechanism worked
out.

They say: "... BACKUP YOUR DATA if you change it and you need it. When the
computer reboots, any changes are lost. A cron job should do it. Have it
check every 10 minutes and see if any files have changed and backup any
changes."

This naive approach will probably only lead to tears with PostgreSQL. (And
if you have a "read-only" database, you might want to use MySQL anyway.
*** dons asbestos suit ***)

Looks more like a "How to play with your Linux kernel" article to me.

    -Peter