Re: [HACKERS] Beta for 4:30AST ... ?

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Beta for 4:30AST ... ?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> >> insert OID = 9999 ( bit varying PGUID 1 1 t b t \054 0 0 bitvaryingin ... )

> The space in the type name is gonna confuse things.

> AFAICS the solution would have to be similar to what we already do for
> CHARACTER VARYING: parse the type declaration specially in gram.y,
> and translate it to an internal type name.

Those are only workarounds on the backend level though. Every new hack
like this will require fixing every client applicatiion to translate that
type right. It's fine with CHARACTER VARYING, because VARCHAR is an
official alias (although it's not the real type name, mind you), but there
is no VARBIT or NVARCHAR. It seems that allowing something like
bit\ varying

in the bootstrap scanner will solve the problem where it's being caused.
Internal type names should go away, not accumulate. ;)